Address: Trim, Co Meath.
Telephone No: +353 46 943 8619
+353 46 9438964
Fax No: +353 46 943 8618
Open all Year:
November to 14th March: Weekends only 09.00 - 17.00
15th March - 31st October: Daily 10.00 - 18.00
Last admission 1 hour before closing.
Please note that all groups must be pre-booked.
Average Length of Visit: 1 - 2 hours
E Castle Excluding the Keep
Group & Senior: €1.00
Child/ Student: €1.00
Display panels with reconstruction drawings, toilets, guided tours. Public car park close to the site.
Please note that this car park is paid parking with a 2 hour limit
Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, was constructed over a thirty-year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh de Lacy was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172 in an attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare, (Strongbow). Construction of the massive three storied Keep, the central stronghold of the castle, was begun c. 1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress. This massive twenty-sided tower, which is cruciform in shape, was protected by a ditch, curtain wall and moat.
Location: Trim Town Centre (Trim is a Heritage Town).
Bus Route(s): Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre +353 1 8366111
Access to the keep is by guided tour only
Maximum number: 20
Duration: 45 minutes
Last tour 1 hour before closing.
Access to the Keep is by guided tour only for safety reasons.
Leaflet/Guide book: English, French, German
Seasonal Events: Please check in advance using contact details listed above.
Photography / Video allowed: Yes. Permit required for Commercial Photography.
Additional Information: Please note that this is a very busy site and visitors may experience a delay during the summer months. Access cannot be guaranteed. Please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Access for visitors with disabilities is very restricted. Please note that some of the stairs in the keep are very steep and narrow. The keep is not accessible for visitors with disabilities and there is restricted access to the grounds only. There are interpretation panels in the grounds of the castle which allow for self-guiding.