Address: Castle St., Cahir, Co. Tipperary.
Telephone No: +353 52 7441011
Fax No: +353 52 7442324
Open all year round 2014:
Please Note Closure Dates due to works being carried out and to ensure safe operation of the Site:
- Tue 14th October closing early at 4.30pm
- Wed 15th October closing early at 3.30pm
- Thur 16th October closing early at 1.30pm
- Friday October closing early at 4.30pm
- Mon 20th October site closed
- Tue 21st October site closed
- Wed 22nd October closed early at 12.30
- Thur 23rd October closed early at 1.30
- Friday 24th October closed early at 4.30pm
- Cahir Castle will close to the public from 16th November 2014 until 31st January 2015 to facilitate urgent maintenance works.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Mid Oct - February: Daily 09.30 - 16.30
March - Mid June: Daily 09.30 - 17.30
Mid June - August; Daily 09.00 - 18.30
Sept - Mid Oct: Daily 09.30 - 17.30
Closed at Christmas from the 24th to the 30th December inclusive.
Average Length of Visit: 1 - 1.5 hours
E Adult: €3.00
Exhibitions, Toilets, Public Car/Coach park close to site.
Once the stronghold of the powerful Butler family, the castle retains its impressive keep, tower and much of its original defensive structure. It is one of Ireland's largest and best preserved castles. It is situated on a rocky island on the River Suir. The castle's attractions include an excellent audio-visual show which informs visitors about the castle.
Location: Centre of Cahir Town (Heritage Town).
Bus Route(s): Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre +353 1 8366111.
Maximum number: 40 - 50
Duration: 30 - 40 minutes
Please note that all groups must be pre-booked.
Leaflet/Guide book: English. Irish, French, German, Italian, Spanish.
Seasonal Events: Please check in advance using contact details listed above
Photography / Video allowed: Yes, but permission required for commercial purposes
Additional Information: AV presentation entitled "Cahir Castle and the Story of Irish Castles". Duration 15 mins and available in English, Irish, French, German, Italian
Limited access for visitors with disabilities by prior arrangements