Castletown House and Parklands
Open 14th March - 31st October daily, with Berkeley Collection of 18th century Costumes.
Opening Times 10.00am - 18.00. Last admission for tours of the house 17.00
Self Guide option on Sunday , download the FREE audio guide www.castletown.ie .
Castletown can close at very short notice for Government business. Tours may have limited access if there is an event or private function running in the house.
Average length of visit: 1 hour.
Parklands - open daily. 8am-8pm.
The Courtyard Café open daily,why not drop in to see us for a light lunch or coffee and a scone. For Booking enquiries telephone 01 6279498.
For enquiries re our Events & Conference Centre, Winter Lecture Series and Christmas Market
on 2nd December contact 01 6288252 or email@example.com. www.castletown.ie
Adults: €7.00-Guided : €5.50-Self Guided
Senior Citizens : €5.00-Guided : €3.50-Self Guided
Students/Children of 5 & over: €3.00-Guided : €2.00-Self Guided
Family: €17.00-Guided : €12.00-Self Guided
Groups: 20 adults €5.00-Guided : €3.50-Self Guided
Toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities, car parking, locker room for large bags.
There is presently no wheelchair access to museum rooms at Castletown House.
Restaurant: The Restaurant at the West Wing, Castletown .
Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays, Open 10am - 5 pm
For more information or restaurant reservations/bookings please telephone 01-627 9498 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Castletown is the largest and most significant Palladian style country house in Ireland. The house is set amongst beautiful 18th century parklands of Celbridge, Co.Kildare. The house was built c.1722 for the speaker of the Irish House of Commons, William Conolly (1662- 1729) the designs of a number of important architects were used, notably Alessandro Gailiei, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce and later Sir William Chambers. The entire estate was sold by the Conolly-Carew family in 1965 to a property developer and in 1967 the house and some parkland were purchased by the Hon. Desmond Guinness. Both Mr Guinness and subsequently the Castletown Foundation, who acquired the house in 1979, devoted considerable effort and resources to maintaining the house and restoring the principal rooms to a high standard. Castletown was transferred to state care on 1 January 1994.
Location: 20km from centre of Dublin on N4/M4.
For vehicle access please take the N4/M4, Sligo Road and take the Celbridge West exit 6, R449. The avenue from Celbridge is for pedestrian/bicycle access only.
GPS/ SAT NAV: Latitude 53.355 Longitude 6.31
Bus route: Dublin bus, pedestrian access: 67/67A from Pearse Street, Dublin. The House is a 10-15 minute walk from the bus stop in Celbridge village along the lime avenue of the parkland. For bus times please check Dublin Bus website www.dublinbus.ie
Guided Tours: Access by guided tour only.
Max number: 20.
Duration: approx 45 mins/1 hour.
Leaflet/Guide Book available in English, French, German, Irish, Italian, Polish and Spanish translation.
Seasonal Events: Telephone/e-mail Castletown for information on concerts, art exhibtions etc.
Photography/Video allowed: No