The Main Guard

The Main Guard

Contact Details

The Main Guard
Sarsfield Street
Co. Tipperary

Telephone No: +353 52 612 7484
Fax No: +353 52 612 7517

During the closed season, please contact The Rock of Cashel, Tel. +353 62 61437, Fax +353 62 62988 , or e-mail

Opening Hours

Please note this site may close at short notice.  Visitors are advised to check ahead before visiting.

24th March - 28th March 2016 & 14th April - 28th September 2016 : Daily 09.00 - 17.00 - Closed on Mondays

Last admission 4.15pm.
Restricted hours during closed season.

Average Length of Visit: 40 mins.

Admission Fees



Exhibitions, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities.
Car parking close to the site.

Restaurant/Tearooms: None



James Butler, Duke of Ormond, built the Main Guard in 1675 as the courthouse for the Palatinate of administrative area of County Tipperary.  In 1715, the Palatinate jurisdiction was extinguished.  In about 1810, the ground floor, a loggia of open arches, was converted into shops, a basement excavated and additional floors inserted.  It has been recently restored to its original form and the open arcade of sandstone columns is once again a feature of the streetscape.

Location: Forms one end of the main street - Sarsfield Street in Clonmel town.

Bus Route(s): Contact Busaras, Travel Centre (01) 8366111

Guided Tours: Regular tours available.

Photography / Video allowed: Yes. Commercial photography requires permission.

Additional Information: During the closed season contact the Rock of Cashel Tel: +353 62 61437 Fax: +353 62 62988 or e-mail

Event Calendar


  • Print this page
  • Bookmark this page