Address: Heywood Gardens, Ballinakill, Co. Laois
Telephone Number: +353 5787 33563 and +353 87 6675291
Fax No: +353 5787 33563
Open all Year:
May to August: 08:30 to 21.00
April and September: 08.30 to 19.00
October to March: 08.30 to 17.30
Average length of visit: 1 hour
Completed in 1912, the property consists of gardens, lakes, woodland and architectural features. It was transferred to State ownership in November 1993 from the Salesian Fathers who had taken care of it since 1941. The formal Gardens form the centre-piece of the property and were designed by the famous architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) and probably landscaped by Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932). It is one of four Gardens in this country designed by him, the others being in the War Memorial Park, Lambay Island and Howth Castle. The Gardens are composed of four elements linked by a terrace that ran along the front of the house which now no longer exists. An extensive re-planting programme is currently underway. There is also limited access for visitors with disabilities.
Location: 7km southeast from Abbeyleix, off R432 to Ballinakill, in the grounds of Heywood Community School
Guided Tour: Garden tour available by prior booking
Photography/Video allowed: Yes. Permission required for commercial purposes.
No toilets on site
Weekend access through turnstile gate only.