Old Mellifont Abbey
Address: Tullyallen, Drogheda, Co. Louth
Telephone No: 28th May - 2nd Sept (Old Mellifont Abbey) +353 41 982 6459
Outside the above period please contact (Brú na Bóinne) +353 41 988 0300
Fax No: 28th May - 2nd Sept (Old Mellifont Abbey) +353 41 982 6053
Outside the above period please contact (Brú na Bóinne) +353 41 982 3071
1st June- 30th August : Daily 10.00 - 18.00
Last admission 45 minutes before closing.
Average Length of Visit: 1 hour
Visitor Centre, exhibition, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities, self-guiding trail, public car / coach park, picnic area.
The first Cistercian monastery in Ireland founded in 1142 by St Malachy of Armagh, its most unusual feature is the octagonal Lavabo c. 1200. The Visitor Centre houses an interesting exhibition on the work of masons in the Middle Ages with fine examples of their craft on display. Access to site by stone stairway.
Location: 10km north-west of Drogheda off the R168 (Drogheda-Collon Road)
Bus Route(s): Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre +353 1 836 6111
Guided Tours: Available on request
Max No: 35 - 40
Duration: 40 minutes
Leaflet/Guide book: English, Irish, French, German, Italian, Spanish.
Seasonal Events: Please check in advance using contact details listed above.
Photography / Video allowed: Yes, but permit required for commercial purposes
Additional Information: The Visitor Centre is fully accessible for visitors with disabilities.