The Main Guard
The Main Guard
Telephone No: +353 52 612 7484
Fax No: +353 52 612 7517
During the closed season, please contact The Rock of Cashel, Tel. +353 62 61437, Fax +353 62 62988 , or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this site may close at short notice. Visitors are advised to check ahead before visiting.
27th March - 20th September 2014: Daily 09.30 - 18.00
Last admission 45 mins. before closing.
Restricted hours during closed season.
Average Length of Visit: 40 mins.
Exhibitions, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities.
Car parking close to the site.
James Butler, Duke of Ormond, built the Main Guard in 1675 as the courthouse for the Palatinate of administrative area of County Tipperary. In 1715, the Palatinate jurisdiction was extinguished. In about 1810, the ground floor, a loggia of open arches, was converted into shops, a basement excavated and additional floors inserted. It has been recently restored to its original form and the open arcade of sandstone columns is once again a feature of the streetscape.
Location: Forms one end of the main street - Sarsfield Street in Clonmel town.
Bus Route(s): Contact Busaras, Travel Centre (01) 8366111
Guided Tours: Regular tours available.
Photography / Video allowed: Yes. Commercial photography requires permission.
Additional Information: During the closed season contact the Rock of Cashel Tel: +353 62 61437 Fax: +353 62 62988 or e-mail email@example.com.